Saturday, August 18, 2012

Cinnamon Roll Apple Pie---Updated!

First let me explain, I am NOT a baker!  While I love to eat sweets I have never been one that can bake very well.  Lots of disasters have come out of my kitchen!  It's funny the ideas you see on the internet that prompt you to do things you don't normally do!  For instance this Cinnamon Roll Apple Pie.  It started with a picture of a pie crust!


  Believe me if I can make this anyone can do it!

The only ingredients you need are:
(2) rolls of pre-made cinnamon rolls
(2) 20oz cans of  pre-made pie filling
dash of cinnamon to taste

Pre-heat oven to 350
Spray pie pan with non-stick spray

First I took the pre made cinnamon rolls and put them (two at a time) in between two sheets of wax paper and rolled them about 1/8 to 1/4 inch thick. (You can choose to slice the rolls in half if you are looking to make a more cinnamon tasting pie)I then arranged them in the pie pan "pinching" the edges together so as to not leave holes. 

Bake in oven for about 10 mins 

Remove pie crust from oven let cool for a few minutes.
Add your two cans of pre made pie filling and sprinkle with a dash or two of cinnamon


In this case for the top of the pie I took the other roll of pre made cinnamon rolls and rolled them out to make a top crust. (roll them in between two sheets of was paper as before abut 1/8 to 1/14 thick)
Remove one of the sheets of wax paper then turn over on top of your already filled pie. Remove the other sheet of was paper and cut the top crust to fit. 
You could also just make a lattice top or a "dutch apple" type topping. 


I cut four small "slices" in the top of the pie to allow it to get air.
(I am not sure why you are supposed to do this but i remember seeing my Mother do it all the time lol )

Bake in the oven at 350 for 38-35mins
Remove from oven and allow to cool.
Use the icing that came with your pre made rolls to decorate the top of your pie.

Serve with ice-cream, whip cream or just like it came out from the oven. 

Easy and and quick to make!

But most of all it is very good!! 


When I was shopping in the store for the items for this I noticed that the pre made cinnamon rolls also now come in caramel and orange flavors. They also have them in "flaky" style if you prefer a flakier crust. It appears that there are many variations you can use for this simple recipe! 
Enjoy!

Update:  I made one with Cherry Pie Filling!  It was just as good as the Apple!  I really think there is no end to the possibilities with this "crust". If you try a different one let us know! 

No comments:

Post a Comment